Beacon Park Grand Opening Weekend!
Time: 11am - 12am
Free and open to all!
Highlights include: Rock and Soul Legend Robert Randolph & the Family Band, acclaimed Indie band and Michigan natives Lord Huron, four-time Grammy nominated Plena Libre; illuminated interactive art installation IMPULSE from Quartier Des Spectacles; Gospel Brunch featuring Marvin Sapp; a Special Screening of “Back to the Future” with pre-show Movie Music Spectacular from Michigan Philharmonic.
The Downtown Detroit Partnership Commemorates DTE’s New Public Park with Weekend Long Community Grand Opening Celebration, July 20 - 23
Grand Opening Highlights:
Thursday, July 20
- Grand Opening – Park opens to the public at noon with food trucks, live music, games and an interactive exhibit from IMPULSE from Quartier Des Spectacles.
- After Work Party –Kicks off at 5 p.m. with Happy Hour drink specials featuring Griffin Claw tap takeovers.
- Headline entertainment – Robert Randolph & the Family Band will blend funk, soul and rock ‘n’ roll featuring pedal steel guitar with Thornetta Davis opening at 8 p.m.
- IMPULSEfrom Quartier Des Spectacles – Interactive, illuminated see-saws offer a publicly activated light and sound experience. Put into motion by its users, the see-saws are augmented by LED lights and speakers, which increase in light intensity and emit a randomized sound sequence. Runs for six weeks through Aug. 27.
- Mindfield Lighting Activations – Historic facades around the park will illuminate after dark all weekend.
Friday, July 21
- Musical entertainment – American indie rock band Lord Huron headlines, 8 p.m.
- Downtown Games – Come Play Detroit will pit rival DTE and other area employers against each other in fun active competitions, which are open to the public to spectate, noon-5 p.m.
- Beer Garden – Griffin Claw craft and specialty beer, live music and lawn games, 5-8 p.m.
Saturday, July 22
- Night Market – Detroit’s first ever Night Market will showcase the best of local indie music, food trucks, drinks, lawn games, and shopping from up-and-coming local makers and entrepreneurs
- Salsa, Tacos & Tequila – Food, drinks and entertainment, featuring headliners Plena Libre with their distinctive musical style of Puerto Rico, Bomba and Plena with Puerto Rican performing artists and cultural group, Bombarica, 8-11 p.m.
- Fitness – To christen the new space and build community, a Yoga Mala, which consists of 108 sun salutations, will start the morning. Everyone welcome! Plus, Detroit’s first outdoor spinning experience featuring a LIVE DJ and a cardio workout, 9-11 a.m.
- Family Day – Fun for all with games, inflatables, make and takes, and face painting, plus a GVSU Charter school art fair, performances by Matrix Theatre Company, Ballet Folklorico, Moyocayani Izel, Detroit Youth Volume, Nadanta, Mosaic Youth Theatre and Detroit Windsor Dance Academy, Noon-6 p.m.
Sunday, July 23
- Classical Concerts – Nationally-recognized, Detroit-based chamber orchestra Sphinx Nonet presents an ensemble performance, 3-4 p.m.
- Movie Music Spectacular – A performance by Michigan Philharmonic leads up to a special screening of “Back to the Future” with a Car Display/Photo Opp. for guests to sit in and “travel through time” in a “Back to the Future” Delorean with Doc and Marty McFly, 6-8:30p.m.
- Gospel Brunch – Michigan’s own award-winning Gospel Singer Bishop Marvin L. Sapp will be joined by local choirs, including Gospel Truth, and dance ensembles, noon-3 p.m.
- Fitness – A morning full of energy with Detroit’s first outdoor spinning experience featuring a LIVE DJ, plus yoga and a cardio workout, 9-11 a.m.